An autobiography is not about pictures; it's about the stories; it's about honesty and as much truth as you can tell without coming too close to other people's privacy.
-
Boris Becker

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Peel four: Gunning for the millennium.


The go-down by the airport was deserted when Kamau dropped me off. He opened the door for me and bid me good bye.

"Happy Millennium, boss!" gruffly shaking my hand before turning around and quickly walking back to his truck.

"Sure... Happy millennium to you too, my friend," I mumbled towards his retreating back. I paused and watched him drive away before shutting the door and walking down the deserted warehouse.

The whole world was abuzz with expectations of what the new millennium would bring. Two years back, the word 'millennium' hardly existed in anyone's vocabulary. Now, even the cucus upcountry were wishing it to their visiting grand kids - 'Iii niguo, mukigie na mireniuamu njega'

We were at the dawn of a new millennium, and the excitement in the air was palpable. We all had our hopes, I guess... and misgivings too. I walked into the office at the back of the warehouse and smiled at one of my hopes....

"Hi Kei!" Flashing me a quick smile before turning back to her computer screen, "I was beginning to think you'd changed your mind."

"Heck no..."

'No way I would have,' I thought to myself. This was the last day of the millennium and possibly my last chance with Mutuku. I had stumbled into her a couple of years back while staying at my aunt's place. My bedroom then had been her bedroom once; and inside the drawer of one bedside table, I'd found a card she'd written to her aunt, thanking her for her love and generosity in beautifully cursive wording that set my teenage imagination wildly on fire. Three years I'd waited patiently to meet this beautiful writer, because surely, she would have to be as beautiful as her writing at least; and my patience was duly rewarded for when I ended up under the employ of my aunt after high-school, it was a girl, even more beautiful than I had imagined, that would show me the ropes.

Those first days of '99 were amazing... as I followed Mutuku around like a little puppy, in the matatu's that plied the Embakasi route, to Corp. HQ in Inda, to the numerous bank-runs, back to the warehouse.... lunches at some dingy joints that sold surprisingly delicious foods, and that at thankfully, affordable prices given my minimum wage status at the time. Life was golden.... the only downer being my new love introduced me to her friends as her cousin.

Cousin! What? Heck no! I mused as I patiently waited for her to finish what it was she was doing so we could get down to business. It wasn't our fault that her uncle had married my aunt.

Her orientating me did not last long; presently my aunt had decided that my 'accounting' skills would serve her better at her office and as it was, their relationship, my aunt's and Mutuku's, had soured since the time of the card writing... they could hardly abide each other. And so it came to pass that the only time I saw Mutuku, once my transfer was official, was when she came to Inda for a chewing out by our boss.

"O.K.. Kei, I'm all set," She said startling me out of my reverie. "Explain to me again what it is you need."

Forget what I need, I thought to myself, how about I tell you how I feel. I reached into my rucksack and took out the three binders I'd procured earlier that week. They were training modules for Microsoft Office from Strathmore College. I explained to her that for my upcoming Visa Interview, I needed to be proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint.

"Well, aren't you?" She enquired as she perused through the binders.

"Well... not quite."
I'd learnt to use excel and word while working there, since my duties required it, but my skills were basic. I needed to be proficient, per the 'Professionals' who my aunt had paid a handsome amount of money to ensure I pass that interview. I had certificates showing that I was duly trained in all three, gotten for a couple thau from some flashy character that ran a computer training college in Westlands; Why pay for the training when I can get the certification for so much cheaper. Only thing was, apparently, the people at the embassy might ask me to prove my proficiency. So fork over another couple thousand shillings... the coaches said. Heck no!

"But on New Years Eve?"

"Well, the millennium bug might not afford me another chance..." I'd quipped.

"These are really good." Mutuku as she walked over to one of the computer stations and started it. "You won't even need my help with this."
That right there was one of her shortcomings. She never caught on to my sense of humor... and even worse, she seemed completely oblivious to the fact that I seriously lusted after her; had been from the very moment I laid my eyes on her. Perhaps, even, from that day years back when I'd found her card.

"No?" Not even bothering to hide my disappointment as I plunked into the chair she had pulled for me. She quickly went over what I needed to do before inquiring if there was anything else I needed. She was about to go and here I was about to let another chance escape me.

"What are you doing tonight?" I asked grasping for something... "You know... to celebrate the new millennium."

"I'll be hanging with some friends later on tonight..."

Somehow, I managed to elicit an invite to join her and her friends before she left me engulfed in MS Office commands. By the time I was through, satisfactorily proficient, and my eyes tired as hell, it was 10:30 P.M. I'd been cooped up in that office for close to seven hours.
I locked up, bid the Maasai watchie good bye...

"Happy Millennium boss"

Then walked the mile or so to City Cabanas, my built up anticipation nearly costing me my life as I crossed Mombasa highway. In my mind, I'd imagined what the night was going to be like... wondering if her friends were as cute or cuter. What if I fall for one of them? After all, she most likely would tell them I was her cousin. In any case, no way I was going home that night so she would have to put me up for the night.

When I finally traced the table where they were sitting, somewhat to my disappointment, there was just two girls and four older gentlemen, and by the looks of it, they had been there a while; loud conversation, flushed faces, sweaty armpits. They looked like everyone else in the place and the place was packed. I suppose nobody wanted to miss the millennium.

Introductions were quickly made, chairs moved around to create space, additional rounds were ordered and presently I was conversing just as jovially.

"Who are you again?" The guy to my right yelled into my ear for the fourth time, his slurred speech accentuating his Kamba accent even more.

"Mulwa! Quit bothering my boyfriend!" Mutuku came to my rescue. "Kei, come sit over here, leave that fool alone."

I tried to brush it off but she insisted and made everyone scoot over so I could sit next to her.... between her and the other girl. Good start.... had she just referred to me as her boyfriend... even in jest?

Well, by the time the millennium caught up with us... bug or no bug, we were well fed, and inebriated... enough to dance anyway. Ndombolo ya solo was the hit back then. And I remember dancing the night away, and not really bothered by the fact that I had to share Mutuku with these other gents. One of them especially, was taking a lot of her time, but what the heck, it was New Years.

About 4 O'clock, we staggered gaily home, at least I did. Well, I followed Mutuku, her girlfriend and Peter, this guy who had been taking up most of her time, to Mutuku's place in Embakasi. Somehow we made it there in one piece. I remember singing out loud, falling several times and laughing our heads off. Mostly though, I remember the darkness... both literal and in my head. I remember wondering how anybody could find their way in such black darkness. Then my head had gone black and the next thing I knew I was sitting on the edge of a bed.

I struggled to see where I was...

It was a small studio, with two single beds. Mutuku and the other girl had changed into sleeping attire and were giggling loudly at something Peter had said. Peter was seated next to me, taking off his shoes... socks, jacket, gun....

"Wait, is that a gun?"

"Yeah..." Peter had replied nonchalantly, "Wanna see it?"

Too drunk to know any better, I had nodded affirmative, accepted the proffered weapon... and wielding it with unsteady hands, scrutinized it.... mesmerized. I remember pointing it to my head jokingly and Mutuku snapping at me... and then more blackness.

When I came to next, it was to the sounds of life.... upset babies crying, irate mothers yelling, children playing outside... and the sizzle, very close too, of breakfast frying. I opened my eyes, and caught, sneaking through the crack at the bottom of the door, some rays of daylight. On a wooden stool by the door, in what area served as a kitchen, seated in front of a paraffin stove, Mutuku was frying some eggs. She was conversing in Kamba to her girl friend, sitting up on the bed across from me.

There was no sign of Peter, or the gun.

1 comment:

3CB said...

I like the turn at the end :-)